- Longest oarfish ever measured was 11m long.
- The oarfish has a tapered & elongated silver-colored body - it has a majestic-looking dorsal fin, with the color ranging from pink to red.
- The anal fin & claudal fin (ie at the end) is greatly reduced/non-existent: the body tapers to a fine point.
- The species has no teeth - it is scaleless, covered by easily-abraded, silvery guanine - not eaten because of gelatinous property.
- The species have been known to swim by undulating its long dorsal fin - it has also been observed swimming vertically.
- Not much is known about their reproductive cycle but spawning has been observed.
- Oarfish primarily feed on zooplankton & small fish.