But what is a sprained ankle?
Sprained ankle, twisted ankle, rolled ankle...they're the different terms for the same injury where the ligament(s) of the ankle is torn/partially torn.
There are 3 grades of sprain severity...
- Some stretching/minor tearing of the lateral ankle ligaments
- Little/no joint stability
- Mild pain
- Mild swelling around the bone on the outside of the ankle
- Joint stiffness/difficulty while walking/running
- Moderate tearing of the ligament fibers
- Some instability of the joint
- Moderate to severe pain & difficulty walking
- Minor bruising may be evident
- Total rupture of a ligament
- Gross instability of the joint
- Severe pain followed later by no pain
- Severe swelling
- Extensive bruising
Use the RICE method (Source: FamilyDoctor.org)
You may need to rest your ankle, either completely or partly, depending on how serious your sprain is. Use crutches for as long as it hurts you to stand on your foot.
Using ice packs, ice slush baths or ice massages can decrease the swelling, pain, bruising and muscle spasms. Keep using ice for up to 3 days after the injury.
Wrapping your ankle may be the best way to avoid swelling and bruising. You'll probably need to keep your ankle wrapped for 1 or 2 days after the injury and perhaps for up to a week or more.
Raising your ankle to or above the level of your heart will help prevent the swelling from getting worse and will help reduce bruising. Try to keep your ankle elevated for about 2 to 3 hours a day if possible.
This is short but I am in pain so forgive me :) Hopefully this will provide a little bit of information about this darn injury...