Impending Violin Exam

As some of you may know, I've registered for the ABRSM Grade 5 exam for violin. The exam is in August, the exact date and venue will be announced soon. Initially when I took up the violin, I did not plan to take exams: I wanted to focus on learning the instrument without the stress of preparing for the exam. However, I am more confident now and my teacher has encouraged me to try the Grade 5 exam. She's tried me out on previous exam pieces for Grade 4 and Grade 5, then we've tried pieces from my book Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics: Violin Classics, Vol 2079, Intermediate to Advanced Level. 

My exam pieces are:


[A1] - Corrente, 2nd Movement from Sonata in D minor, Op. 5 No. 7 by Arcangelo Corelli.
[B2] - Pastorale, Op. 23 No. 1 by Oskar Rieding
[C1] - For Latin Lovers by Brian Chapple


I like the differences in my pieces: Corrente is a typical Baroque piece; I've to learn how to play semi-detached notes. Just yesterday we focused on the 1st page of this piece (there are total 2 pages), and it was an exhausting practice to understand the phrasing and implement dynamics. Pastorale is sweet and melodious, while For Latin Lovers requires that distinctive tango rhythm. 
Corrente

I also have to learn scales and arpeggios; the fingerings are unique for each scale and it's good practice to improve my pitching and shifting. The dominant sevenths and minor sevenths scales are new to me, but they sounded nice. 


I've tried other songs from the repertoire and I like the following pieces:


[A3] - Andante, 1st Movement from Sonata in F, TWV 41:F4 by Georg Philipp Telemann
[B3] - Petit air varié: No. 7 from Petite école de la mélodie, Op. 123, Book 2 by Charles Dancla

This exam will be a new goal for me to achieve and I will commit more time and focus to bring out the very best for this challenge. I also need a new violin as my teacher said it's unlikely I will pass with my current one! :( Hopefully this exam will bring me closer to a new level of playing the violin. Wish me luck! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When is the Right Age to Marry?

Fancy a Massage in Bangsar?

Here We Go Again...