Allergies...

Well turns out I'm allergic to prawns (staying away from squid to be on the safe side...) & Mosiguard (a mosquito repellent, giving me a pretty bad rash now)...So previously I (deluded myself) thought that I wasn't allergic to anything; I'd this arrogance that "I can eat anything but I can choose if I want to" *what kind of lunacy is that?*




Now I can no longer brag like that anymore *sniff*

So what are allergies? Here's a snippet of an interesting article :)
An allergic reaction is the body's way of responding to an "invader." When the body senses a foreign substance, called an antigen, the immune system is triggered. The immune system normally protects the body from harmful agents such as bacteria and toxins. Its overreaction to a harmless substance (an allergen) is called a hypersensitivity, or allergic, reaction.
  • Anything can be an allergen. Common dust, pollen, plants, medications, certain foods, insect venoms, viruses, or bacteria are examples of allergens.
  • Reactions may be in one spot, such as a small skin rash or itchy eyes, or all over, as in a whole body rash.
  • A reaction may include one or several symptoms.
In rare cases, an allergic reaction can be life threatening (see Anaphylaxis). Each year in the United States, over 400 people die from allergic reactions to penicillin, and over 50 people die from allergic reactions to bee and fire ant stings.
Most allergic reactions are much less serious, such as a rash from poison ivy or sneezing from hay fever. The reaction depends on the person but is sometimes unpredictable.
Allergies are very common.
So now I know a little bit about why my skin looks like a sick strawberry :(
Cheers :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey I kinda remember you eating a lot of prawn last time..ermm..funny ur allergic to it now.
Hehe..seafood tomyam anyone?

Popular posts from this blog

When is the Right Age to Marry?

Fancy a Massage in Bangsar?

Here We Go Again...