BOSET

Recently I had the opportunity to visit an offshore platform for a site visit. The purpose of the visit is...jeng jeng jeng! Can't reveal much but I had to obtain information to complete my reports (yeah, I've reached the stage where 1 report is not enough!). I'd to take the following route to the platform:


Get a medical checkup > undergo BOSET training > get a safety passport > make the travel arrangements > get my butt there!
BOSET stands for Basic Offshore Safety Emergency Training. The purpose of this training is that I've a chance of staying a live should any one of following occurs:

i) Helicopter crash to the sea
ii) Platform abandonment


Also the training helps one to familiarize him/herself with the routine at the platform, like transferring from a boat to the platform, as well as the procedures to conduct work. 
I attended the MIS BOSET which is recognized by Petronas & its affliates (if I'm not mistaken), at SEQU Offshore Training. It's a 3 day course, I don't know the exact fee of the course but I was told its around RM2k! The cert will last 4 yrs so it's not that bad! The course has several modules:


1) Basic Fire Fighting
2) Basic CPR
3) HUET (Helicopter Underwater Emergency Training) & EBS 
4) Sea Survival
5) Offshore Orientation


The most memorable is the HUET module; somehow there's something thrilling about sitting in a simulated helicopter & getting submerged! Also the food served was amazing, I put on some weight while I was there, the food was irresistible! :D


I suppose the most important lesson is that one can never be too careful. The procedures imparted are the product of man's response to disasters that have happened & one mistake can have tragic results. It didn't add to my paranoia, but increased my confidence that I'll get to that platform & back in one piece. 
In the end, I went for the site visit, got the stuff I needed, came back onshore & boy am I glad that I don't have to work offshore! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When is the Right Age to Marry?

Fancy a Massage in Bangsar?

Here We Go Again...